Mola-Mola embodies the idea that once you’ve removed everything that isn’t the music, what remains is the music.
The result is something never before heard of in high-end audio:amplifiers and converters whose output signal cannot be distinguished, by ear, from the input signal. So what does that sound like? In a few words: natural, nimble, rich and musically enthralling.
The basic Makua is an extremely transparent gain stage and a programmable routing matrix. The chassis has ample room to fit optional extras, most notably a DAC and a phono stage. The 6 preset buttons are programmable via USB or Bluetooth to access any combination of channel, processing and routing. In a system with mainly digital sources, the preset buttons would be programmed to select between them.
Vinyl lovers, on the other hand, might want to use several buttons to select the same turntable but with different EQ settings to suit their large collection of historic LP’s. All five inputs are switchable between XLR and floating RCA connections, and all can be assigned to either phono or line.
- Balance and input gain offset.
- Phase invert and mono sum.
- Full software control of routing and processing
- Maximum input/output level: 20 dBu (7.75 Vrms)
- Unweighted noise voltage at unity gain: 1.9 uV
- Input impedance: 100 kohm
- Output impedance: 44 ohm
- Distortion at maximum signal level (THD, IMD): not measurable, estimated around -150dB.
- Bandwidth >200 kHz
- Gain range: -70 dB to +15 dB.
- Gain resolution: <1 dB, better than 0.2 dB over normal listening range.
The days of compromising power efficiency for audio performance are finally over: the Kaluga delivers definitive audio performance with power efficiency thrown in as a bonus.
Kaluga is based on world’s most sought after class D technology: Ncore. Also designed by Bruno Putzeys, this circuit packs 20 years of research and experience into non-linear control theory. Unprecedentedly low distortion, noise and output impedance combine into what scores of enthusiastic users unanimously describe as “no sonic signature at all”.
The amplifier board is a Mola-Mola-specific design deriving from the famous NC1200 amplifier. The audio circuitry is trimmed to the bare bones and board-to-board connectors are eliminated in favour of soldering a pair of star-quad cables directly into the circuit board for the cleanest, lowest impedance connection possible. The input stage is moved to a separate circuit board that uses the same discrete buffers as those found in the Makua.
- Output power: 400 W/8 ohm
- 700W/4 ohm
- 1200W/2 ohm
- Gain: 28 dB
- Unweighted Signal/Noise Ratio: 128 dB
- Distortion (THD, IMD): <0.003 % (all frequencies and power levels)
- Input Impedance: 100 kohm
- Output Impedance: <0.002 ohm (DF>4000), all frequencies.
- Bandwidth: >50 kHz
- Balanced and unbalanced input.
- 2 pairs of Furutech binding posts, biwired directly to the amplifier PCB using Kubala·Sosna cable.
For more information on Mola Mola please visit: mola-mola.nl or download our brochure here